Re: COVER NOTE - gilmore/blakey

1 post / 0 new
#1 Fri, 1994-08-26 14:00
Robert L. Campbell

Re: COVER NOTE - gilmore/blakey

Pedro, Thanks, I didn't know that interview. It's not far from what the record store owner in London reported: "playing for the stars and not for the people." Gilmore has said that Blakey put down his tenor tone as too thin but is otherwise not specific about what Blakey didn't like. As he describes it, though, his response to Blakey was full of rampant Ra-speak ("I can always go back and save the planet with Sunny"). One correction. Buhaina was quite right about the Lester Young influence being unidirectional (and it's hard to believe John would have claimed that Lester took from him--it's never come up in all of his stories about cutting Sonny Stitt or helping Sonny Rollins get off dope or whatever). He's wrong about Trane, though--there the influence was bidirectional and Trane told interviewers that he borrowed from Gilmore. Many critics have rejected these ideas out of hand because Trane was IMPORTANT and Gilmore--who he?--but properly dated recordings tend to bear the story out. Just compare Rocket Number Nine (1960) by Gilmore with Out of this World (1962) by Trane, or Jet Flight (October 1961) by Gilmore with Chasin' the Trane (November 1961) and you'll see what I mean. Besides Trane borrowed from Albert Ayler and even from his own disciples like Pharoah and was open about it. rlc