peter townshend on sun ra

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Thu, 2011-05-19 08:02
ihorsr
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 2010-12-14 08:05

peter townshend on sun ra

peter townshend (of the who) on collecting sun ra:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NHvAL5IAf0k/TS5iEqTTNVI/AAAAAAAAAVs/pgSPZQH5fi...

I-) ihor
_______________________________________________
Saturn mailing list
Saturn@lists.outerspaceways.info
http://outerspaceways.info/ for subscribe and unsubscribe options

Thu, 2011-05-19 08:10
Kevin Loy 2
Offline
Last seen: 10 years 3 months ago
Joined: 2010-12-22 23:55

peter townshend on sun ra




http-equiv="Content-Type">



Still in the shrinkwrap? Maybe
Pete has a copy of Celebrations for Dial Tunes somewhere
in that pile. Or maybe even some Saturn that has yet to be
discovered. Is anybody from Art Yard or Atavistic reading this?



Thanks for this, Ihor. It is kind of funny to think of Pete
Townshend would be into Sun Ra -- you'd never really know it
from his own work (that's not to slag him -- I think his work is
fine, but it exists on a planet far outside of the galaxy where
Sun Ra resides).



Kevin



On 5/19/2011 11:02 AM, ihor sunrise wrote:
cite="mid:BANLkTi=QBov2q1T_z8z5nZV8jWeWjEiD8Q@mail.gmail.com"
type="cite">
peter townshend (of the who) on collecting sun ra:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NHvAL5IAf0k/TS5iEqTTNVI/AAAAAAAAAVs/pgSPZQH5fiY/s1600/pete%2Bon%2Bra.jpg

I-)  ihor
_______________________________________________
Saturn mailing list
Saturn@lists.outerspaceways.info
http://outerspaceways.info/ for subscribe and unsubscribe options



Thu, 2011-05-19 16:55 (Reply to #2)
Pete Gianakopoulos
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 8 months ago
Joined: 2010-12-22 23:35

peter townshend on sun ra

he went to Rose Records back in the day and bought a whole row of the LPs.





-----Original Message-----

From: Kevin Loy <haciendacaliente@verizon.net>

To: saturn <saturn@outerspaceways.info>

Sent: Thu, May 19, 2011 10:09 am

Subject: Re: [ Saturn ] peter townshend on sun ra


Still in the shrinkwrap? Maybe
Pete has a copy of Celebrations for Dial Tunes somewhere
in that pile. Or maybe even some Saturn that has yet to be
discovered. Is anybody from Art Yard or Atavistic reading this?


Thanks for this, Ihor. It is kind of funny to think of Pete
Townshend would be into Sun Ra -- you'd never really know it
from his own work (that's not to slag him -- I think his work is
fine, but it exists on a planet far outside of the galaxy where
Sun Ra resides).


Kevin


On 5/19/2011 11:02 AM, ihor sunrise wrote:

peter townshend (of the who) on collecting sun ra:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NHvAL5IAf0k/TS5iEqTTNVI/AAAAAAAAAVs/pgSPZQH5fiY/s1600/pete%2Bon%2Bra.jpg

I-)  ihor
_______________________________________________
Saturn mailing list
Saturn@lists.outerspaceways.info
http://outerspaceways.info/ for subscribe and unsubscribe options


Thu, 2011-05-19 17:10 (Reply to #3)
3equals0-3equals1
3equals0-3equals1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 3 months ago
Joined: 2010-12-09 18:35

peter townshend on sun ra

"He comes back with 250 albums." 

250 Sun Ra titles in one store at the same time?  Can that be?  Just the idea of it makes me a li'l dizzy.  Surely there must have been duplicate copies of many of the LPs...  I'd love to be able to walk into anywhere and say 'gimme all you've got.'  Actually, I did that this morning:  I walked out with 2 cases of seltzer water - somehow it's just not the same. :)


Thanks Ihor!  What a fun tidbit!  You always share the most interesting and enjoyable reads.

-john


On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 7:54 PM, <oldschrec@aol.com> wrote:

he went to Rose Records back in the day and bought a whole row of the LPs.





-----Original Message-----

From: Kevin Loy <haciendacaliente@verizon.net>

To: saturn <saturn@outerspaceways.info>

Sent: Thu, May 19, 2011 10:09 am

Subject: Re: [ Saturn ] peter townshend on sun ra


Still in the shrinkwrap? Maybe
Pete has a copy of Celebrations for Dial Tunes somewhere
in that pile. Or maybe even some Saturn that has yet to be
discovered. Is anybody from Art Yard or Atavistic reading this?


Thanks for this, Ihor. It is kind of funny to think of Pete
Townshend would be into Sun Ra -- you'd never really know it
from his own work (that's not to slag him -- I think his work is
fine, but it exists on a planet far outside of the galaxy where
Sun Ra resides).


Kevin


On 5/19/2011 11:02 AM, ihor sunrise wrote:

peter townshend (of the who) on collecting sun ra:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NHvAL5IAf0k/TS5iEqTTNVI/AAAAAAAAAVs/pgSPZQH5fiY/s1600/pete%2Bon%2Bra.jpg

I-)  ihor
_______________________________________________
Saturn mailing list
Saturn@lists.outerspaceways.info
http://outerspaceways.info/ for subscribe and unsubscribe options


_______________________________________________
Saturn mailing list
Saturn@lists.outerspaceways.info
http://outerspaceways.info/ for subscribe and unsubscribe options


_______________________________________________

Saturn mailing list

Saturn@lists.outerspaceways.info

http://outerspaceways.info/ for subscribe and unsubscribe options


Thu, 2011-05-19 22:30 (Reply to #4)
Pete Gianakopoulos
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 8 months ago
Joined: 2010-12-22 23:35

peter townshend on sun ra



they were mostly yellow label presses that the band had sold at shows in the 80's that were all sealed for about $5 a piece.

12" plain jackets that used to sit in bins at jazz record mart and rose records downtown.

after the wfmu/blast first trendy phenomena in the late 80's they would be nowhere to be found outside of maybe Philly



Peter G


-----Original Message-----

From: John Sudduth <ahboo301@gmail.com>

To: saturn <saturn@outerspaceways.info>

Sent: Thu, May 19, 2011 7:05 pm

Subject: Re: [ Saturn ] peter townshend on sun ra


"He comes back with 250 albums." 


250 Sun Ra titles in one store at the same time?  Can that be?  Just the idea of it makes me a li'l dizzy.  Surely there must have been duplicate copies of many of the LPs...  I'd love to be able to walk into anywhere and say 'gimme all you've got.'  Actually, I did that this morning:  I walked out with 2 cases of seltzer water - somehow it's just not the same. :)


Thanks Ihor!  What a fun tidbit!  You always share the most interesting and enjoyable reads.


-john


On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 7:54 PM, <oldschrec@aol.com> wrote:

he went to Rose Records back in the day and bought a whole row of the LPs.





-----Original Message-----

From: Kevin Loy <haciendacaliente@verizon.net>

To: saturn <saturn@outerspaceways.info>

Sent: Thu, May 19, 2011 10:09 am

Subject: Re: [ Saturn ] peter townshend on sun ra


Still in the shrinkwrap? Maybe
Pete has a copy of Celebrations for Dial Tunes somewhere
in that pile. Or maybe even some Saturn that has yet to be
discovered. Is anybody from Art Yard or Atavistic reading this?


Thanks for this, Ihor. It is kind of funny to think of Pete
Townshend would be into Sun Ra -- you'd never really know it
from his own work (that's not to slag him -- I think his work is
fine, but it exists on a planet far outside of the galaxy where
Sun Ra resides).


Kevin


On 5/19/2011 11:02 AM, ihor sunrise wrote:

peter townshend (of the who) on collecting sun ra:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NHvAL5IAf0k/TS5iEqTTNVI/AAAAAAAAAVs/pgSPZQH5fiY/s1600/pete%2Bon%2Bra.jpg

I-) ihor
_______________________________________________
Saturn mailing list
Saturn@lists.outerspaceways.info
http://outerspaceways.info/ for subscribe and unsubscribe options


_______________________________________________
Saturn mailing list
Saturn@lists.outerspaceways.info
http://outerspaceways.info/ for subscribe and unsubscribe options


_______________________________________________

Saturn mailing list

Saturn@lists.outerspaceways.info

http://outerspaceways.info/ for subscribe and unsubscribe options


Fri, 2011-05-20 04:20 (Reply to #5)
Sean Westergaard
Offline
Last seen: 10 years 3 months ago
Joined: 2010-12-22 23:50

arrival day celebration






arrival day celebration

Thu, 2011-05-19 23:20 (Reply to #6)
ppaulnz
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 12 months ago
Joined: 2011-03-25 20:42

peter townshend on sun ra






He was a Terry Riley fan for sure, and I can
believe Sun Ra as well - totally different, but both different planets. Baba
O'Riley is named for Mr. Riley.

Paul

style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
----- Original Message -----

style="FONT: 10pt arial; BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black">From:
href="mailto:haciendacaliente@verizon.net">Kevin Loy
To: href="mailto:saturn@outerspaceways.info">saturn@outerspaceways.info

Sent: Friday, May 20, 2011 3:09 AM

Subject: Re: [ Saturn ] peter townshend
on sun ra


Still in the shrinkwrap? Maybe
Pete has a copy of Celebrations for Dial Tunes somewhere in that pile.
Or maybe even some Saturn that has yet to be discovered. Is anybody from Art
Yard or Atavistic reading this?

Thanks for this, Ihor. It is kind of
funny to think of Pete Townshend would be into Sun Ra -- you'd never really
know it from his own work (that's not to slag him -- I think his work is fine,
but it exists on a planet far outside of the galaxy where Sun Ra
resides).

Kevin

On 5/19/2011 11:02 AM, ihor
sunrise wrote:
type="cite">
peter townshend (of the who) on collecting sun ra:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NHvAL5IAf0k/TS5iEqTTNVI/AAAAAAAAAVs/pgSPZQH5fiY/s1600/pete%2Bon%2Bra.jpg

I-)  ihor
_______________________________________________
Saturn mailing list
Saturn@lists.outerspaceways.info
http://outerspaceways.info/ for subscribe and unsubscribe options





_______________________________________________
Saturn mailing
list
Saturn@lists.outerspaceways.info
http://outerspaceways.info/ for
subscribe and unsubscribe options

Paul

Thu, 2011-05-19 08:40
Gary Lawrence Murphy
Gary Lawrence Murphy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 8 months ago
Joined: 2010-12-15 19:40

peter townshend on sun ra

I think the shrinkwrap is really very telling, not that Pete was shallow in his listening, I'm sure he was very attentive, but in how the sudden abundance destroyed his enthusiasm, overwhelmed him and left him thinking he'd "heard it all" -- this is the danger the young kids face with an always-available Internet library of every recording going back to some pencil lines scratched on a chart playing Claire du Lune before there were any means to play it back.  I think I've heard this exact bit spoken by Townsend recently (synchronistically) and also heard Bill Wyman say how Jagger and Richards would scour post-war Brittain looking for 'rarities' whereas today the concept of 'rarity' is completely different.


so there's a cautionary tale here for the artists: it is folly to make all of your stuff available in one spot quickly and easily, it lacks the Quest, the Adventure, it defeats what Picasso said about Art being just another way to keep a diary.  IMHO artists should release early, release often, and then forget about it, move on, keep moving forward, let the historians obsess over catalogs.  And also for the artists looking at their fans in this modern day of everywhere ready plentitude, I think it is more important than ever that the diary is a personal connection, a Facebook, a twitter feed (like Bill Shatner) an intertwining of personal lives such that when you come anywhere near where the fan lives, they feel amost personally obliged to sail out to get that one thing they cannot get in all the online archives and CD stores: the dwindling rarity of real contact.



On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 11:02 AM, ihor sunrise <ihorsr@gmail.com> wrote:

peter townshend (of the who) on collecting sun ra:



http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NHvAL5IAf0k/TS5iEqTTNVI/AAAAAAAAAVs/pgSPZQH5fiY/s1600/pete%2Bon%2Bra.jpg



I-)  ihor

_______________________________________________

Saturn mailing list

Saturn@lists.outerspaceways.info

http://outerspaceways.info/ for subscribe and unsubscribe options




--

Have Blog, Will Travel: blog.teledyn.com
A Serviceable Substitute: post.teledyn.com


Thu, 2011-05-19 08:50 (Reply to #8)
Nick Wood
Offline
Last seen: 10 years 3 months ago
Joined: 2010-12-22 23:40

peter townshend on sun ra

@Lenni. You used to sell vinyl in Chicago. Was that you.


On 19 May 2011 17:32, Gary Lawrence Murphy <garym@teledyn.com> wrote:

I think the shrinkwrap is really very telling, not that Pete was shallow in his listening, I'm sure he was very attentive, but in how the sudden abundance destroyed his enthusiasm, overwhelmed him and left him thinking he'd "heard it all" -- this is the danger the young kids face with an always-available Internet library of every recording going back to some pencil lines scratched on a chart playing Claire du Lune before there were any means to play it back.  I think I've heard this exact bit spoken by Townsend recently (synchronistically) and also heard Bill Wyman say how Jagger and Richards would scour post-war Brittain looking for 'rarities' whereas today the concept of 'rarity' is completely different.


so there's a cautionary tale here for the artists: it is folly to make all of your stuff available in one spot quickly and easily, it lacks the Quest, the Adventure, it defeats what Picasso said about Art being just another way to keep a diary.  IMHO artists should release early, release often, and then forget about it, move on, keep moving forward, let the historians obsess over catalogs.  And also for the artists looking at their fans in this modern day of everywhere ready plentitude, I think it is more important than ever that the diary is a personal connection, a Facebook, a twitter feed (like Bill Shatner) an intertwining of personal lives such that when you come anywhere near where the fan lives, they feel amost personally obliged to sail out to get that one thing they cannot get in all the online archives and CD stores: the dwindling rarity of real contact.




On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 11:02 AM, ihor sunrise <ihorsr@gmail.com> wrote:

peter townshend (of the who) on collecting sun ra:



http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NHvAL5IAf0k/TS5iEqTTNVI/AAAAAAAAAVs/pgSPZQH5fiY/s1600/pete%2Bon%2Bra.jpg



I-)  ihor

_______________________________________________

Saturn mailing list

Saturn@lists.outerspaceways.info

http://outerspaceways.info/ for subscribe and unsubscribe options




--

Have Blog, Will Travel: blog.teledyn.com
A Serviceable Substitute: post.teledyn.com



_______________________________________________

Saturn mailing list

Saturn@lists.outerspaceways.info

http://outerspaceways.info/ for subscribe and unsubscribe options


Sun, 2011-06-12 04:55 (Reply to #9)
sunny
Offline
Last seen: 10 years 3 months ago
Joined: 2010-12-22 23:45

peter townshend on sun ra

Space Greetings eveyone,
Sorry it has been a light year since i posted and yes light years measure distance not time, But reading the stuff about Pete Likeing Sun Ra is more than correct as you know Pete was a follower of his Baba Mentor, But Pete Loved Sun Ra and I used to buy my Saturn Records at shows from Danny or Buster, But when ever SUn Ra was back here in Chicago Rose records on Wabash would have full bins of Sun Ra LP's so many and they were from Abraham or sun ra but in 82 Sun Ra was here in September for 6 nights at the Blackstone, my first shows. AMazing shows and very different then when he came back in 84, anyways.... I used to save my money from part time shoe salesman going to Columbia Collage and I had a break every Thursaday i would walk to Rose and Buy one or Two Saturns or the Cut-out ones like live at Montreux, and Pictures of Infinity and Cosmos, all cut out with 2.99 price the Saturns were from 9 to 18 dollars, so my collection was growing and i had my eye on several cool LP
'!
s untill the WHO came thru Chicago on the final Tour {Yeah right} two shows so Pete stayed downtown and he showed up at Rose on that Thursday and just took the whole bin of SUN RA RECORDS, I mean he just cleaned them out and it was a huge stack. He could easily afford to buy 60 albums at once, and i stood there not being able to fet my weekly fix of a new SUn Ra Record well Rose Never recoverd from that and never again did they have a stock of Sun Ra LP's So I know it is true That Pete Loved Sun Ra and he did get a huge stack all at once not like the adventure i was on trying hard to find about Ra records before there was a discography and it was glorius finding a new Ra LP that you never hears of or was new like when the A & M LP's came out I remember. Ok Peace in Space Happy Arrival Day to Marshall.
I still Have some beautiful footage of Marshall Allen with Fred ANderson, Averyal Ra, and Henry Grimes. Two Complete concerts, Four sets of improvised music. It is still frozen under contract and can only been seen at my home, But i hope someday somehow it can see the light of day with some help so the musicians can make some extra money off a gig they already did and got paid for and for me to pay off the great debt i have personally paid for cameras and mic's and operators and well it needed to be professionally documented and it is great but i am bound and will honor all my contracts that i am involved with, I have many finished in the can doc and would love to release them, I do have out in syndication, CHANCE OF A LIFETIME about James Chance Alto Sax manic from the Contortions. I have Sun Ra footage well i think listed on Astro Black web site. Any one in production want to get involved in a project pleace let me know.
_______________________________________________
Saturn mailing list
Saturn@lists.outerspaceways.info
http://outerspaceways.info/ for subscribe and unsubscribe options

Sun, 2011-06-12 14:35 (Reply to #10)
Stephen Ramirez
Offline
Last seen: 10 years 3 months ago
Joined: 2010-12-14 11:05

peter townshend on sun ra

The early 80s was when Saturn had a distribution deal with Rounder
Records. This was pretty much the only period when you could find
Saturn product in record stores and you could also order them direct
from Rounder's mail order service. I used to make regular runs from
Long Island to Manhattan to buy Saturns at J&R Music World's Jazz
shop. Like you I could not afford to buy the whole bin at once. I got
about 40 Saturns during this period including a few with nice hand
painted covers. I am pretty sure I was paying $7-8 per record.

SR

>Space Greetings eveyone,
> Sorry it has been a light year since i posted and yes light years
>measure distance not time, But reading the stuff about Pete Likeing
>Sun Ra is more than correct as you know Pete was a follower of his
>Baba Mentor, But Pete Loved Sun Ra and I used to buy my Saturn
>Records at shows from Danny or Buster, But when ever SUn Ra was back
>here in Chicago Rose records on Wabash would have full bins of Sun
>Ra LP's so many and they were from Abraham or sun ra but in 82 Sun
>Ra was here in September for 6 nights at the Blackstone, my first
>shows. AMazing shows and very different then when he came back in
>84, anyways.... I used to save my money from part time shoe salesman
>going to Columbia Collage and I had a break every Thursaday i would
>walk to Rose and Buy one or Two Saturns or the Cut-out ones like
>live at Montreux, and Pictures of Infinity and Cosmos, all cut out
>with 2.99 price the Saturns were from 9 to 18 dollars, so my
>collection was growing and i had my eye on several cool LP
> '!
>s untill the WHO came thru Chicago on the final Tour {Yeah right}
>two shows so Pete stayed downtown and he showed up at Rose on that
>Thursday and just took the whole bin of SUN RA RECORDS, I mean he
>just cleaned them out and it was a huge stack. He could easily
>afford to buy 60 albums at once, and i stood there not being able to
>fet my weekly fix of a new SUn Ra Record well Rose Never recoverd
>from that and never again did they have a stock of Sun Ra LP's So I
>know it is true That Pete Loved Sun Ra and he did get a huge stack
>all at once not like the adventure i was on trying hard to find
>about Ra records before there was a discography and it was glorius
>finding a new Ra LP that you never hears of or was new like when the
>A & M LP's came out I remember. Ok Peace in Space Happy Arrival Day
>to Marshall.
> I still Have some beautiful footage of Marshall Allen with Fred
>ANderson, Averyal Ra, and Henry Grimes. Two Complete concerts, Four
>sets of improvised music. It is still frozen under contract and can
>only been seen at my home, But i hope someday somehow it can see the
>light of day with some help so the musicians can make some extra
>money off a gig they already did and got paid for and for me to pay
>off the great debt i have personally paid for cameras and mic's and
>operators and well it needed to be professionally documented and it
>is great but i am bound and will honor all my contracts that i am
>involved with, I have many finished in the can doc and would love to
>release them, I do have out in syndication, CHANCE OF A LIFETIME
>about James Chance Alto Sax manic from the Contortions. I have Sun
>Ra footage well i think listed on Astro Black web site. Any one in
>production want to get involved in a project pleace let me know.
>_______________________________________________
>Saturn mailing list
>Saturn@lists.outerspaceways.info
>http://outerspaceways.info/ for subscribe and unsubscribe options

_______________________________________________
Saturn mailing list
Saturn@lists.outerspaceways.info
http://outerspaceways.info/ for subscribe and unsubscribe options

Sun, 2011-06-12 15:50 (Reply to #11)
lenni b
lenni b's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 years 4 months ago
Joined: 2010-12-11 11:24

peter townshend on sun ra







Nice to hear from Steve in Space in Chi-town
>Space Greetings eveyone,
>    Sorry it has been a light year since i posted and yes light years 
>measure distance not time, But reading the stuff about Pete Likeing 
>Sun Ra is more than correct as you know Pete was a follower of his 
>Baba Mentor, But Pete Loved Sun Ra and I used to buy my Saturn 
>Records at shows from Danny or Buster, But when ever SUn Ra was back 
>here in Chicago Rose records on Wabash would have full bins of Sun 
>Ra LP's so many and they were from Abraham or sun ra but in 82 Sun 
>Ra was here in September for 6 nights at the Blackstone, my first 
>shows. AMazing shows and very different then when he came back in 
>84, anyways.... I used to save my money from part time shoe salesman 
>going to Columbia Collage and I had a break every Thursaday i would 
>walk to Rose and Buy one or Two Saturns or the Cut-out ones like 
>live at Montreux, and Pictures of Infinity and Cosmos, all cut out 
>with 2.99 price the Saturns were from 9 to 18 dollars, so my 
>collection was growing and i had my eye on several cool LP
>  '!
>s untill the WHO came thru Chicago on the final Tour {Yeah right} 
>two shows so Pete stayed downtown and he showed up at Rose on that 
>Thursday and just took the whole bin of SUN RA RECORDS, I mean he 
>just cleaned them out and it was a huge stack. He could easily 
>afford to buy 60 albums at once, and i stood there not being able to 
>fet my weekly fix of a new SUn Ra Record well Rose Never recoverd 
>from that and never again did they have a stock of Sun Ra LP's So I 
>know it is true That Pete Loved Sun Ra and he did get a huge stack 
>all at once not like the adventure i was on trying hard to find 
>about Ra records before there was a discography and it was glorius 
>finding a new Ra LP that you never hears of or was new like when the 
>A & M LP's came out I remember. Ok Peace in Space Happy Arrival Day 
>to Marshall.
>   I still Have some beautiful footage of Marshall Allen with Fred 
>ANderson, Averyal Ra, and Henry Grimes. Two Complete concerts, Four 
>sets of improvised music. It is still frozen under contract and can 
>only been seen at my home, But i hope someday somehow it can see the 
>light of day with some help so the musicians can make some extra 
>money off a gig they already did and got paid for and for me to pay 
>off the great debt i have personally paid for cameras and mic's and 
>operators and well it needed to be professionally documented and it 
>is great but i am bound and will honor all my contracts that i am 
>involved with, I have many finished in the can doc and would love to 
>release them, I do have out in syndication, CHANCE OF A LIFETIME 
>about James Chance Alto Sax manic from the Contortions. I have Sun 
>Ra footage well i think listed on Astro Black web site. Any one in 
>production want to get involved in a project pleace let me know.
>_______________________________________________
>Saturn mailing list
>Saturn@lists.outerspaceways.info
>http://outerspaceways.info/ for subscribe and unsubscribe options

_______________________________________________
Saturn mailing list
Saturn@lists.outerspaceways.info
http://outerspaceways.info/ for subscribe and unsubscribe options

lenni b

Tue, 2011-06-21 15:15 (Reply to #12)
sunny
Offline
Last seen: 10 years 3 months ago
Joined: 2010-12-22 23:45

peter townshend on sun ra

Thanks for the shout out Lenni & Charles.
peace in space steve
_______________________________________________
Saturn mailing list
Saturn@lists.outerspaceways.info
http://outerspaceways.info/ for subscribe and unsubscribe options

Thu, 2011-05-19 08:40
Gary Lawrence Murphy
Gary Lawrence Murphy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 8 months ago
Joined: 2010-12-15 19:40

peter townshend on sun ra

I think the shrinkwrap is really very telling, not that Pete was shallow in his listening, I'm sure he was very attentive, but in how the sudden abundance destroyed his enthusiasm, overwhelmed him and left him thinking he'd "heard it all" -- this is the danger the young kids face with an always-available Internet library of every recording going back to some pencil lines scratched on a chart playing Claire du Lune before there were any means to play it back.  I think I've heard this exact bit spoken by Townsend recently (synchronistically) and also heard Bill Wyman say how Jagger and Richards would scour post-war Brittain looking for 'rarities' whereas today the concept of 'rarity' is completely different.


so there's a cautionary tale here for the artists: it is folly to make all of your stuff available in one spot quickly and easily, it lacks the Quest, the Adventure, it defeats what Picasso said about Art being just another way to keep a diary.  IMHO artists should release early, release often, and then forget about it, move on, keep moving forward, let the historians obsess over catalogs.  And also for the artists looking at their fans in this modern day of everywhere ready plentitude, I think it is more important than ever that the diary is a personal connection, a Facebook, a twitter feed (like Bill Shatner) an intertwining of personal lives such that when you come anywhere near where the fan lives, they feel amost personally obliged to sail out to get that one thing they cannot get in all the online archives and CD stores: the dwindling rarity of real contact.



On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 11:02 AM, ihor sunrise <ihorsr@gmail.com> wrote:

peter townshend (of the who) on collecting sun ra:



http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NHvAL5IAf0k/TS5iEqTTNVI/AAAAAAAAAVs/pgSPZQH5fiY/s1600/pete%2Bon%2Bra.jpg



I-)  ihor

_______________________________________________

Saturn mailing list

Saturn@lists.outerspaceways.info

http://outerspaceways.info/ for subscribe and unsubscribe options




--

Have Blog, Will Travel: blog.teledyn.com
A Serviceable Substitute: post.teledyn.com


Wed, 2011-05-25 06:15
ihorsr
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 7 months ago
Joined: 2010-12-14 08:05

peter townshend on sun ra

> peter townshend (of the who) on collecting sun ra:
>
> http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_NHvAL5IAf0k/TS5iEqTTNVI/AAAAAAAAAVs/pgSPZQH5fi...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BslNucq9jXo Sun Ra - Interview + Live
Toronto 1991

interestingly, this starts off with peter townshend talking about his
collection.

I-) ihor
_______________________________________________
Saturn mailing list
Saturn@lists.outerspaceways.info
http://outerspaceways.info/ for subscribe and unsubscribe options