Re: Copyright, - we won't solve it here

1 post / 0 new
#1 Wed, 1994-11-09 07:45
PJFawcett

Re: Copyright, - we won't solve it here

Many of the great jazz artists I've discussed such things with, are happy anyone wants to do "private tapes" and such of their work -- it means that more will get out there! Of course, others get indignant and feel ripped off if they see anyone dubbing or even photographing them in appearances. The law, of course, is wishy-washy, full of loopholes, and the companies get the bread anyway, not the artist (or his estate) in many instances.

In the case of Ra, I've been impressed by his statement in the "A Joyful Noise" film that (to paraphrase) he's like the birds, who make music because they have to, and if people want to listen, they're welcome, and if they don't, they don't have to. I'm sure he felt the same about his poetry. My vote would be for compilers to post everything and eventually have it all available on-line. As for hard-copies of ALL Ra's poetry actually being published, it'd have minimal sales anyway, and many would want it that way whether it's also on-line or not.

vladimir simosko music library, university of manitoba email: libmu1@ccu.umanitoba.ca snailmail: Music Library University of Manitoba Winnipeg, Manitoba R3T 2N2 CANADA