Recent amusing event

1 post / 0 new
#1 Wed, 1994-11-23 06:02
J Johnson

Recent amusing event

Just a small story..... I recently caught Ornette Coleman in San Fran at a concert premiere of a work he called Tone Dialing. It featured multi-media effects such as computer graphics, dancers, live video, body piercing antics and a spoken word performance. Well, during the main spoken word part by Vincent Harding, he listed a list of names of folks that should be admired and thanked, a group he called "saints". He went through a list that included John Coltrane, MLK, Malcolm X, and a number of others. Well, right in the middle of this, as if he was reading my mind, some guy in the audience yelled out, "and Sun Ra, man!" The whole audience cheered after Harding smiled and said "..and Sun Ra" in response. I thought this was particularly fitting, with Sun Ra being the main man behind shows with dancers, lights, spoken word, ect. As a matter of fact, the whole show's multi-media aspects seemed to echo everything he had already done much earlier and to some degree, much better. Nice to see he's not forgotten!

JJ Jim Johnson/jjohnson@alston.cba.ua.edu