Re: Tape Trees

1 post / 0 new
#1 Thu, 1994-09-01 06:26
J Johnson

Re: Tape Trees

I think it's unfortunate that the Arkestra is having to scrape by day to day while some musical artists who aren't worth a %$^& are making piles of cash for making formula music. I guess I am also surprised that there are not more efforts by fellow jazz artists and even some rock artists to help these guys out, either by raising some cash via a concert or by hiring those who can play to play as sidemen on a recording date or live. NRBQ has helped with the Sun Ra Horns, but they are the only group I know of doing this. I assume that there is no way for a current Arkestra (?) to get a recording contract and make some new records at this point, so I guess they will have to rely on help from others or basically sell everything that they own, including master tapes. They probably would need legal assistance to make sure they don't get screwed on that, but I imagine they can't afford that. It's also too bad that the Clifford Jordan/Gilmore Blue Note date is about to be reissued and John won't see a cent from it- I know these guys often got a flat fee for their services the first time in lieu of royalties, but geez. I remember a few years ago some musicians established a "support fund/group" for older R&B artists who had been screwed out of their royalties early on and had nothing to retire on, particularly if they ended up in bad health in their later years. I think a similar version for jazz musicians would be equally appropriate. By the way, how is Gilmore caring for himself? Sounds like he needs to be in a hospital. Who lives in the Philly house with Jacson and Gilmore these days?

Just my .05, JJ Jim Johnson/jjohnson@alston.cba.ua.edu