Re: archiving poetry, etc....

1 post / 0 new
#1 Wed, 1994-11-09 16:54
Trudy Morse

Re: archiving poetry, etc....

Hi Peter. Of course, please call your friend. My son, Michael, of the National Science Foundation, just explained and showed me the WWW, and there is only a small section on jazz. They welcome anything that anybody will send. More later. Must leave and will return on Dec. l.

Let's just do this! Nobody is going to make any money on this, and this is the best way to let the world have access to the poetry.

You know, Peter, I think it was so neatly and carefully typed, on a computer, I am told, so that it would be available for this kind of thing.

Do you know, there is Nothing, but Nothing in music so carefully preserved that anybody can perform. I feel the poetry is what got him through the hard cruet world! And the hassles to keep the band together and working.

Trudy

DATE: Wed, 9 Nov 1994 06:57:53 MST FROM: Peter M. Roberts roberts@NATASHA.LANL.GOV

Trudy Morse wrote:

Peter, I am so overwhelmed what can be done on computer! Can we get the poetry on computer? And coded? I have hundreds of poems. What is involved in this? The poems are all neatly typed and indexed, by Sun Ra. Trudy

Trudy, I think there are several possibilities for getting typewritten stuff put on computer. Unfortunately, I personally know very little about database management. I'm good at handling large volumes of earthquake data (that's my professional bag), but when it comes to archiving and maintaining anything a human being can read, I'm at a loss. If Sun Ra's poems are neatly typed, there's a chance the typewritten sheets can be electronically scanned and converted into so-called ASCII text files. These files could then be put into a format that would be relatively easy to build into a so-called relational database (that's basically a large volume of individual entries that can be assigned identifying attributes that make cross-referencing, etc. easy). I get the impression that something like this may have been used in the Geerken/Hefele book? I suppose that if the copyright issues are ever resolved, the poetry database could be made available as a home page on the World-Wide-Web? Anyway, I have an old friend from MIT who's now in Boulder. He's an expert in computerized database stuff. I could give him a call if you like. He's a long-time jazz fan (not sure how devoted he is to Sun Ra, though) and I'll bet he would have some good ideas about the best system to use for such a task.

Peter