[Fwd: Re: RECORDS FOR SALE]

1 post / 0 new
#1 Wed, 1997-07-30 10:21
BC

[Fwd: Re: RECORDS FOR SALE]

Message-ID: 33DECDC9.4B97@javanet.com Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 22:14:49 -0700 From: BC glasseye@javanet.com Organization: Father Yod X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.01 (Win16; I) MIME-Version: 1.0 To: Sun Ra and his Arkestra SATURN@NIC.SURFNET.NL Subject: Re: RECORDS FOR SALE References: 199707292202.RAA05406@mail3.bellatlantic.net 33DEAC23.5C5@bellatlantic.net Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Marianne Berry and Gilbert Hsiao wrote: >

>

Anton,

you're right , they're expensive but ... you didn't ask yourself how much I paied for them and the work to find them ?

Have you ever had trade or business with Japanese people ?

Marcello

Marcello:

What does that last bit about "Japanese people" supposed to mean? Just curious.

i believe what marcello is alluding to are the prices that are paid by japanese dealers and collectors for free jazz records. having been a dealer and collector for a long time i can attest to the fact that japanese record dealers are currently paying higher prices than anyone for interesting pieces (a group which naturally includes saturns). concurrently the prices of records in japanese stores & on lists is pretty mindblowing. a freind of mine just picked up the baileys on morgue for $500 a pop on his last trip to tokyo, as well as several taganaki's in the $400-600 range. there is nowhere else that people would ask these prices, but the fact that japanese dealers are paying a premium also means that they are often the surest source for very rare records. w/ the explosion of commerce on the internet the market is truly an international one. thus, the prices of records as in-demand as these have risen to truly mind buggering heights. the same thing happened to psych & kraut-rock & english folk stuff already. and while the inflated prices of lesser records will probably be temporary, the figures acheived by the upper echelon of the stuff (most of which is very goddamn scarce these days) will probably be permanent. my own take was that marcello's prices were about what people are getting for those records these days & that the shandars were even on the cheap side. there are probably still only a few free jazz records that would potentially crack the $1000 mark in an open auction (Ayler on Bird Notes, When Angels Speak of Love, Bailey on Nondo, anything else?) but if things continue the way they're going this club will be far less exclusive in a few years. maybe i'm being pessimistic, but i've watched it happen to other genres over the last 15 years & the scratches are on the wall. byron