Re: Mims

1 post / 0 new
#1 Thu, 1994-08-18 09:41
Robert L. Campbell

Re: Mims

Jim, T.S. Mims hasn't produced anything else, to my knowledge. He knew Richard Wilkinson and Sunny and was willing to front the money for studio sessions (of which there hadn't been any on Saturn for quite a while...). He was in the advertising business at the time and Wilkinson may have figured (rightly) that he'd handle business negotiations well. The books haven't closed yet on the Saturn singles project. Jerry Gordon once planned to have it out by Christmas, but now realizes that it won't happen and is willing to take longer. We are still trying to find all the singles that are out there, though at this point we have the luxury of bugging Alton Abraham for more tapes while being able to fall back on pressings if we have to. In other words, I think we can lay our hands on everything that we know exists. Wilkinson is a serious collector--he generally acquired multiple copies of the singles and kept one unplayed. So Disco 2100 should be OK. By the way, if Jerry gets all 6 sides by the Dozier Boys/ Dukes of Swing (and a license from MCA to use them) we may have to go to 3 CDs. I haven't even told him that yet. Saturn, the label with 25-minute LPs--and 4 or 5 minute sides on singles... rlc