Re: payment for tapes

1 post / 0 new
#1 Wed, 1994-08-03 00:12
Trudy Morse

Re: payment for tapes

Hi Peter. I, too, try to live by philosophy. Plato's cardinal virtues: courage, justice, wisdom, moderation.,

To whom would the $2.00, $1.00, or even $20 go?

l. The Arkestra members are trying to form a Foundation for Sun Ra Arkestra members? Which members?

1. The family, whom Sun Ra, never even acknowledged, feel they should share in whatever uncle has, costumes, real estate, etc.

2. John Gilmore, I have just learned "is desparately ill".

3. There is also a loosely knit alumnus of the Arkestra, musicians who have played with Sun Ra somewhere in their career, and want to keep the memory. And we have no vested interest! In fact, most of the musicians are playing for no fee, and we are all glad to do so.

Eddy Gale, for one, has taken thousands of dollars from his own pocket, to get groups of musicians together for Tributes to Sun Ra.

So, who in fairness should get the tax on the tapes?

I, for one, like the comaradie among the list, where sharing and bartering is the norm. Grateful Dead encourages its members to set up their own recording systems during concerts, and I would guess there is bartering all the time.

Trudy

DATE: Mon, 1 Aug 1994 22:33:46 -0400 FROM: Peter Overton King pking@MAGNUS.ACS.OHIO-STATE.EDU

Let me add my voice to the many: I think the Arkestra should be paid when we circulate tapes and the like. It's hard to say just how much, but I'd think an honor-system of $2@ is the bare minimum.

I also think this isn;t just nice of us, but morally obligatory. Those who think otherwise, or who want nothing to do with principles, stop reading now.

Still here? OK: a modified version of H. L. A. Hart's Principle of Fairness governs these situations, so that we are obligated by the following principle:

Accepting the benefits of a practice obligates you
to pay for them if, were the only way to obtain the
benefits to pay for them, you *would* pay for them.

Or, in plain words, if you'd buy these tapes for (say) $2 from a bootlegger who had the only copies, well, then, you're obliged to pay for them now. (Well, plainer words, anyway.)

One of the many ways philosophy makes life so uncomfortable...

Peter King King.4@osu.edu