Re: The Earthly Recordings of Sun Ra

1 post / 0 new
#1 Thu, 1994-07-07 13:50
Robert L. Campbell

Re: The Earthly Recordings of Sun Ra

David, Cadence is not big on graphics (their photo reproductions don't nearly compare in quality with those in Omniverse Sun Ra). Plus I knew that Hartmut and Berndt were going to publish reproductions of album covers (which they did an excellent job of) and I saw no need to duplicate. The only photo is the label from an early single that was used for the cover. What I do give in addition to the standard discographical listings is extensive annotations of sources--why do I think the recording was made on that date? Why do I think so-and-so is playing on it? Very important with Saturns where documentation is poor and information hard to come by. I don't review the performances, however. In addition, I mention tours and gigs not known to have been recorded (because almost certainly someone did tape them, and additional material may come to light). As I mentioned in an earlier post, it's around 250 pages and 500+ sessions. There's up-to-date info on concert tapes, on singles from the 1950s, and revisionism elsewhere (for instance, the two volumes of Solar-Myth Approach are broken down track by track, and many of the sessions are dated 1967 or 1968 instead of the 1970-1971 given on the BYG releases--and thanks to work by Chris Trent, the "extra" tracks from the Night in East Berlin CD are now firmly dated 1977). rlc