chronological sun ra

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Wed, 2010-12-22 06:50
ihorsr
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 days ago
Joined: 2010-12-14 08:05

chronological sun ra

i was listening to 'cosmic tones for mental therapy / art forms of
dimensions tomorrow' (thanks, john, for suggesting that as a 'must
listen soon' item!), reading along the notes, and the rlc disco
entries and the nuvoid reviews, coming to the realization that this
album is really from a number of different sessions, a real mashup, if
you will.

'cosmic tones for mental therapy' has 'and otherness' and 'thither and
yon', both pieces recorded by tommy hunter at the choreographers
workshop in nycity in 1963. it also has 'adventure-equation', 'moon
dance', and 'voice of space', which were recorded at the tip top club
in brooklyn in 1963.

'art forms of dimensions tomorrow' has 'cluster of galaxies', 'solar
drums', 'the outer heavens', and 'infinity of the universe',which are
from 1962. and then, it has 'lights on a satellite' and 'kosmos in
blue' from 1961, part of the sessions for 'bad and beautiful'.

so i am wondering if anyone / anywhere has cataloged the sun ra songs
(not albums, but individual songs that were recorded and released) in
chronological order, a timeline if you will? it might even be
interesting to re-release the sun ra catalog in that order?

I-) ihor

Wed, 2010-12-22 07:00
Gary Lawrence Murphy
Gary Lawrence Murphy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 years 9 months ago
Joined: 2010-12-15 19:40

chronological sun ra

LOL -- and after I spent all that time and effort to digitize my collection
and code a hook into random.org so I could play them all back in RANDOM
order?! :)

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 9:50 AM, ihor sunra wrote:

> i was listening to 'cosmic tones for mental therapy / art forms of
> dimensions tomorrow' (thanks, john, for suggesting that as a 'must
> listen soon' item!), reading along the notes, and the rlc disco
> entries and the nuvoid reviews, coming to the realization that this
> album is really from a number of different sessions, a real mashup, if
> you will.
>
> 'cosmic tones for mental therapy' has 'and otherness' and 'thither and
> yon', both pieces recorded by tommy hunter at the choreographers
> workshop in nycity in 1963. it also has 'adventure-equation', 'moon
> dance', and 'voice of space', which were recorded at the tip top club
> in brooklyn in 1963.
>
> 'art forms of dimensions tomorrow' has 'cluster of galaxies', 'solar
> drums', 'the outer heavens', and 'infinity of the universe',which are
> from 1962. and then, it has 'lights on a satellite' and 'kosmos in
> blue' from 1961, part of the sessions for 'bad and beautiful'.
>
> so i am wondering if anyone / anywhere has cataloged the sun ra songs
> (not albums, but individual songs that were recorded and released) in
> chronological order, a timeline if you will? it might even be
> interesting to re-release the sun ra catalog in that order?
>
> I-) ihor
>

Wed, 2010-12-22 10:25
Stephen Ramirez
Offline
Last seen: 11 years 5 months ago
Joined: 2010-12-14 11:05

chronological sun ra

Do you have a copy of the Earthly Recordings? I may be
misunderstanding your question but the Earthly Recordings discography
IS in chronological order by session, not by album release.

SR

>i was listening to 'cosmic tones for mental therapy / art forms of
>dimensions tomorrow' (thanks, john, for suggesting that as a 'must
>listen soon' item!), reading along the notes, and the rlc disco
>entries and the nuvoid reviews, coming to the realization that this
>album is really from a number of different sessions, a real mashup, if
>you will.
>
>'cosmic tones for mental therapy' has 'and otherness' and 'thither and
>yon', both pieces recorded by tommy hunter at the choreographers
>workshop in nycity in 1963. it also has 'adventure-equation', 'moon
>dance', and 'voice of space', which were recorded at the tip top club
>in brooklyn in 1963.
>
>'art forms of dimensions tomorrow' has 'cluster of galaxies', 'solar
>drums', 'the outer heavens', and 'infinity of the universe',which are
>from 1962. and then, it has 'lights on a satellite' and 'kosmos in
>blue' from 1961, part of the sessions for 'bad and beautiful'.
>
>so i am wondering if anyone / anywhere has cataloged the sun ra songs
>(not albums, but individual songs that were recorded and released) in
>chronological order, a timeline if you will? it might even be
>interesting to re-release the sun ra catalog in that order?
>
>I-) ihor

Wed, 2010-12-22 15:45
ihorsr
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 days ago
Joined: 2010-12-14 08:05

chronological sun ra

> Do you have a copy of the Earthly Recordings? I may be
> misunderstanding your question but the Earthly Recordings
> discography IS in chronological order by session, not by
> album release.

d'oh! of course! thanks, SR!

I-) ihor

Wed, 2010-12-22 17:55 (Reply to #4)
3equals0-3equals1
3equals0-3equals1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 5 months ago
Joined: 2010-12-09 18:35

chronological sun ra

Hey, speaking of 'The Earthly Recordings,' does anyone know where I can find
a copy of the 2nd ed. at anything close to a reasonable price? I've been
watching out for a copy for the last year or so and have met only with
frustration & disappointment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-john

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 6:43 PM, ihor sunra wrote:

> > Do you have a copy of the Earthly Recordings? I may be
> > misunderstanding your question but the Earthly Recordings
> > discography IS in chronological order by session, not by
> > album release.
>
> d'oh! of course! thanks, SR!
>
> I-) ihor
>

Wed, 2010-12-22 23:40 (Reply to #5)
Nick Wood
Offline
Last seen: 11 years 5 months ago
Joined: 2010-12-22 23:40

chronological sun ra

I got mine from Cadence: http://www.cadencebuilding.com/cadence/cjb.html.
They still have copies in stock.

Nick

On 23 December 2010 02:54, John Sudduth wrote:

> Hey, speaking of 'The Earthly Recordings,' does anyone know where I can
> find
> a copy of the 2nd ed. at anything close to a reasonable price? I've been
> watching out for a copy for the last year or so and have met only with
> frustration & disappointment.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> -john
>
> On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 6:43 PM, ihor sunra wrote:
>
> > > Do you have a copy of the Earthly Recordings? I may be
> > > misunderstanding your question but the Earthly Recordings
> > > discography IS in chronological order by session, not by
> > > album release.
> >
> > d'oh! of course! thanks, SR!
> >
> > I-) ihor
> >
>
>
>
> --
> 3 = 0, 3 = 1, don'tcha know
>