UNRELEASED RECORDINGS

1 post / 0 new
#1 Fri, 1997-04-04 10:25
JAMES L WOLF

UNRELEASED RECORDINGS

I hope that these cassettes don't end up in some private hoard. Perhaps an archive would be the best place for them, perhaps even the Library of Congress, where they could at least be accesible to anyone who could get here. We couldn't buy them though. There's no money for acquistitions anymore. Are there any music (especially jazz) archives out there which could buy this stuff? Even outside the US? As a side note, I just learned about why we can't seem to get any more private jazz collections. We bought the Mingus collection from Charles Mingus' widow ( I forget her name) for a large sum. Apparently she went around New York telling people how much we paid for it, and urging people to up their prices for us. Gil Evans' widow was supposedly going to give us her husband's collection, then changed her mind and asked for some large amount. Richard Wilkinson wanted to sell a roomful of stuff to us for a price we couldn't pay. This was all about 3-4 years ago, when I wasn't here (not that I could have done anything about it). Pretty damn depressing. Copies of this new material should find their way to the Arkestra in any case. Is anyone going to try to contact this Anderson person? Is someone considering buying these things? If so, I'd like to converse, either privately or on the list, whichever seems appropriate. I'm sure I'm not alone in being concerned that these tapes not be abused, financially or physically, intentionally or unintentionally. Or am I? James