Going Boldly into The Future (of the Saturn List)

1 post / 0 new
#1 Thu, 2010-12-09 22:56
Steven M Scotten
Steven M Scotten's picture

Going Boldly into The Future (of the Saturn List)

Just want to provide an update on the progress toward moving the list to = a new system.

The new mailing list is set up with web-based tools for signing up and = signing off. I've given the location to the people who volunteered to = test the system out and so far the only issues we've had have been = relatively minor and (so far) easy to fix.

What I'm going to do once Chris and I are satisfied that the new system = is up to snuff, is add everyone from the current list to the new list. = Everyone on this list will get an email with their new username and = password for accessing and changing your subscription options.

We aren't yet sure that we will be able to transfer all the options over = easily, so this may mean that people subscribed to the digest could = become subscribed for individual emails on the new list. I'm going to = continue to explore options, but switching yourself back to digest mode = will be pretty easy.

Until the end of the year when the current list shuts down, messages = sent to the old list will also appear on the new list. This is so that = we don't miss any stragglers who accidentally send to the old address. = That also means people may get two copies of those messages, one from = each server. Again, that will only be for a short time. After that, = sending to the old address will get you an email bounce message.

I'm trying to manage this process to be as seamless as possible, but = there still may be some bumps along the road. I ask for your patience = and forgiveness should one of these issues affect you.

Once the subscribers are all on the new list I will set to the task of = making sure that the archives get transferred.

I'm not yet giving out the address to the new list and site because I = want to give the beta testers time to tell me if I'm totally crazy or = have done everything wrong. Once Chris and I agree that we're good to go = I'll unveil the whole enchilada.

Steve=