chicago chronology question

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Tue, 2012-03-13 06:19
ihorsr
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 8 months ago
Joined: 2010-12-14 08:05

chicago chronology question

i needed some work music last night, and through the miracle of 21st
century technology, i programmed up 'sun song', supersonic jazz',
'sound of joy', 'jazz in silhouette', and 'sound sun pleasure'. that
playlist made for a very nice (and long) sequence, the music being
bop, big band..

what i am wondering is... that sequence of albums - 'sun song',
supersonic jazz', 'sound of joy', 'jazz in silhouette', and 'sound sun
pleasure' - is that in chronological order by RECORDING date? i felt
that getting them in recording date order would define and demonstrate
the 'sun ra sound', but i am not sure i did get them in correct
recording date order.

I-) ihor
_______________________________________________
Saturn mailing list
Saturn@lists.outerspaceways.info
http://outerspaceways.info/ for subscribe and unsubscribe options

Tue, 2012-03-13 13:06
Sam Byrd
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 8 months ago
Joined: 2010-12-09 18:59

chicago chronology question

Ihor,

As is true with just about everything in Ra's discography, the answer is
not simple.

I don't have my copy of the 2nd edition of Campbell/Trent with me now,
but that is what you need to work all this out. Basically, you'll want a
song-by-song chronology, not an album chronology, because most of these
albums are a mix of songs that were recorded at multiple times and
different locations. ("Jazz in Silhouette" may be the exception--I think
that was recorded all at one time, but I'm not 100% positive).

Generally, I think the earliest of all these is part of "Sound Sun
Pleasure" (certainly the Stuff Smith "Deep Purple"from 1948 is the
earliest cut of all these. Beyond that, I'm not gonna say without my
discography backup (certainly others can chime in?).

Sam

On 3/13/2012 9:19 AM, ihor sunrise wrote:
> i needed some work music last night, and through the miracle of 21st
> century technology, i programmed up 'sun song', supersonic jazz',
> 'sound of joy', 'jazz in silhouette', and 'sound sun pleasure'. that
> playlist made for a very nice (and long) sequence, the music being
> bop, big band..
>
> what i am wondering is... that sequence of albums - 'sun song',
> supersonic jazz', 'sound of joy', 'jazz in silhouette', and 'sound sun
> pleasure' - is that in chronological order by RECORDING date? i felt
> that getting them in recording date order would define and demonstrate
> the 'sun ra sound', but i am not sure i did get them in correct
> recording date order.
>
> I-) ihor
> _______________________________________________
> Saturn mailing list
> Saturn@lists.outerspaceways.info
> http://outerspaceways.info/ for subscribe and unsubscribe options

_______________________________________________
Saturn mailing list
Saturn@lists.outerspaceways.info
http://outerspaceways.info/ for subscribe and unsubscribe options

Tue, 2012-03-13 13:06 (Reply to #2)
Sam Byrd
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 8 months ago
Joined: 2010-12-09 18:59

chicago chronology question

Actually you can work things out chronologically by using "From Sonny
Blount to Sun Ra: The Chicago Years" by Campbell, Trent, and Pruter, at
http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~campber/sunra.html

Sorry I didn't think of that earlier!

Saturnally,
Sam

On 3/13/2012 10:18 AM, Sam Byrd wrote:
> Ihor,
>
> As is true with just about everything in Ra's discography, the answer is
> not simple.
>
> I don't have my copy of the 2nd edition of Campbell/Trent with me now,
> but that is what you need to work all this out. Basically, you'll want a
> song-by-song chronology, not an album chronology, because most of these
> albums are a mix of songs that were recorded at multiple times and
> different locations. ("Jazz in Silhouette" may be the exception--I think
> that was recorded all at one time, but I'm not 100% positive).
>
> Generally, I think the earliest of all these is part of "Sound Sun
> Pleasure" (certainly the Stuff Smith "Deep Purple"from 1948 is the
> earliest cut of all these. Beyond that, I'm not gonna say without my
> discography backup (certainly others can chime in?).
>
> Sam
>
> On 3/13/2012 9:19 AM, ihor sunrise wrote:
>> i needed some work music last night, and through the miracle of 21st
>> century technology, i programmed up 'sun song', supersonic jazz',
>> 'sound of joy', 'jazz in silhouette', and 'sound sun pleasure'. that
>> playlist made for a very nice (and long) sequence, the music being
>> bop, big band..
>>
>> what i am wondering is... that sequence of albums - 'sun song',
>> supersonic jazz', 'sound of joy', 'jazz in silhouette', and 'sound sun
>> pleasure' - is that in chronological order by RECORDING date? i felt
>> that getting them in recording date order would define and demonstrate
>> the 'sun ra sound', but i am not sure i did get them in correct
>> recording date order.
>>
>> I-) ihor
>> _______________________________________________
>> Saturn mailing list
>> Saturn@lists.outerspaceways.info
>> http://outerspaceways.info/ for subscribe and unsubscribe options
>
> _______________________________________________
> Saturn mailing list
> Saturn@lists.outerspaceways.info
> http://outerspaceways.info/ for subscribe and unsubscribe options

_______________________________________________
Saturn mailing list
Saturn@lists.outerspaceways.info
http://outerspaceways.info/ for subscribe and unsubscribe options

Wed, 2012-03-14 16:31
ihorsr
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 8 months ago
Joined: 2010-12-14 08:05

chicago chronology question

> Actually you can work things out chronologically by using "From Sonny
> Blount to Sun Ra: The Chicago Years" by Campbell, Trent, and Pruter, at
> http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~campber/sunra.html

after reading that last night, i felt like i was a musician in chicago
in the fifties, going from gig to club, looking for work. it is such
a good read that it could make for a great book covering the history
of jazz in chicago in the 50s, as experienced by sun ra, and going
into great detail about the 'sun ra sound' and recording sessions in
chicago. if robert ever needs an idea for a book or tv project, that
could be one!

I-) ihor
_______________________________________________
Saturn mailing list
Saturn@lists.outerspaceways.info
http://outerspaceways.info/ for subscribe and unsubscribe options